About

Hi, I am a Science and Maths teacher at a small, rural P12 College in south-west Victoria, Australia. I started blogging in 2008 with the encouragement of two great teachers here at Hawkesdale, Anne Mirtschin and Jess McCulloch. I use this site as a planning and reflection tool, with my students to enhance their science learning, to share their work with parents and friends and to make global connections. 

My students probably can’t imagine me as a student so here are two class photos, taken in Grade 1 (1972) and Year 7 (1978). Yes – it was back in the days of black and white and count how many students in the class! Can you find me? I’ll give you a clue – I’m the girl with only one bow in my hair. Can you find me in the second photo? Leave me a comment below if you think you know which student is me.

Beverley Hills Primary School, 1972
Beverley Hills Primary School, 1972
Doncaster East High School, 1978
Doncaster East High School, 1978

I was born and lived in Melbourne for the first 21 years of my life. I have always loved nature and wildlife, which led to a science degree at La Trobe University, majoring in Botany and Zoology. I also liked art and drawing and thought at one stage I might like to be a ranger. When I was 21, I moved to Darwin, working in a pathology laboratory, and then travelled overseas for a few years.  I worked as a waitress and as a hostess on yachts, sail-training vessels and other boats. I also worked at Manyeleti Game Reserve, near Kruger National Park for a few months, when I travelled to South Africa. I have also worked at Merrijig Ski Lodge at Mt Buller and qualified as a commercial cook.

I returned to Australia and moved to Warrnambool, where I met my husband, and now I live on a sheep and cattle property in the SW of Victoria.  I completed a Graduate Diploma of Education through Monash University, by Distance Education in 2003 and started at Hawkesdale P12 College the following year. I have two children, James and Alannah, and love teaching and learning with technology.  I enjoy cooking and eating with friends and family and in 2011 I am participating in the 365 photo-a-day challenge.

Posted in

12 comments

1. Rosalie Farley

Hi

This is a longshot. My father Michael Mugavin passed away in 2011. I have found a letter from Lyndoch in Warrnambool directing us to a site where dad was interviewed by students from Hawkesdale College in 2008.I remember seeing it at the time. The letter fives the techno7 web address but notes that the interviews would only be on the website until November of that year. Is there any possible chance this would be available elsewhere. We would dearly love to hear our dad again but I do realise this may be impossible.

Thank you
    Rosalie Farley
    Regards

2. Antony Chiu

Very nice blog you have here! I am a developer at ZeGenie E-Learning, where we create free interactive math courses for grade 9 to 12: http://www.zegenie.com/us/courses

I was wondering if you can take a look and share with us your feedback about our courses and see if they help you with your classroom.
    Thanks!

3. Ashley Walker

I was referred to your blog and I have really enjoyed it so far! I am a third year science teacher and have been looking for ways to successfully integrate technology into the classroom.

4. mrssarno

I love that you included included class photos of yourself when you were young! What a great idea.

5. Gerardo Lazaro

Dear Mrs. Gow:
    Seeking for Science Students’ Online Collaborative Project from Lima, PERU
    My name is Gerardo Lazaro, my mother language is Spanish, but I teach in English and I’m the Sciences Lead Coordinator, and I write this email to kindly request your participation in an online collaborative project with 5th, 6th and 7th grade students. It is part of my class to integrate the use of ICTs in and out of the classroom, and a project with stuents from another country is a great opportunity for that. Perhaps we can exchange ideas on a short initial project and depending on the effect and results on students we could produce a larger project.
    I really hope you are as enthusiastic about this as I am. Please feel free to contact me at anytime at glazarof@gmail, or at my school’s email: glazaro@sanjorge,edu.pe
    My institution is deeply committed with ICTs and all my classes are dictated using an IWB (SmartBoard) and its associated technologies. I train teachers at my institution in the use and application of Web 2.0 tools in the classroom.
    I’ll be waiting for your response.
    Thank you in advance,

Gerardo Lazaro
    Science Lead Teacher
    ICT Team Coordinator
    http://learningandscience.blogspot.com
    http://science-learning.wikispaces.com
    http://sjtics.wordpress.com

6. Ian

Britt,
    I have a student that would interested in the airplane project you posted on the collaboration website (ks2experiments). I was wondering if I had my student do the experiment and complete the attached file, would there be a place to send his results and would they be published online so he could see what other students found out? Let me know. He is anxious to get involved in some kind of collaboration abroad.
    Thanks,
    Ian Snyder

7. Nicole Cuzens

Hey Britt, Love the concept. Certainly a step on from the ol digital portfolios. Will have to get organised and get into it!! Well done techno girl. Nicka

Post a comment

You may use the following HTML:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>